Monday, September 24, 2012

Project 1

My recording locale was McCarty Park in West Allis. I  had two recording sessions; one on Sept. 18th and the other on Sept. 19th. In this post I will list my recording log after the recordings. After the log for each individual recording I will give my opinion on the quality and any other note I have about it.

Some issues I had right off the bat were the lack of a 4 Channel mode, which is the one thing I didn't check when I checked the equipment. Another thing, which I am still confused about, is when I asked the equipment room lady for an NT3 she looked confused and said "did you mean an NT4?" I said that I would prefer both and she only gave me the NT4. Not sure why that would have been confusing for her since I'm pretty sure she is the head of the equipment room.

Regardless of the fact that I had two recording sessions, my location lacked some of the sounds required for the assignment, or were at least near impossible to record. Discrete sounds were few and far to find, whilst there was plenty of ambience from the nearby freeway and the geese on the pond. I also did the recordings in order which would have been fine if it weren't for the massive wind that I had during the second recording session. This rendered my mobile recordings useless.

Here are the recordings:




Here is my recording log:

#1 -- Stationary Ambient 1
Time/Date: 09/18/12 -- 5:15pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Park Bench 1
Mic Type: Zoom
Settings: 90 degrees

I feel that the ambient sounds have a nice range of high and mid frequencies. There is some line noise that I wish I could get rid of somehow but I know there really isn't much I could do about that. Other than that the recording is clean, no handling sounds.


#2 -- Stationary Ambient 2
Time/Date: 09/18/12 -- 5:20pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Park Bench 1
Mic Type: Zoom
Settings: 120 degrees

Less line noise in this recording, possibly due to the the change in degree angle (although I didn't think that would have any effect). Very clean recording with a plethora of high and mid frequencies. Not sure how I could fix the lack of low frequencies (if that is at all possible).


#3 -- Stationary Ambient 3
Time/Date: 09/18/12 -- 5:30pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Park Bench 1
Mic Type: NT4
Settings: 96 Volts

The full spectrum of frequencies is present in this recording. The hum from the freeway in the background fills that spectrum in the lower range and is somewhat overpowering the mid and high frequencies. There might have been a little handling noise towards the end.


#4 -- Stationary Ambient 4
Time/Date: 09/18/12 -- 5:45pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Park Bench 2
Mic Type: NT4
Settings: 96 Volts

I definitely noticed some handling noise in this recording. The NT4 is extremely sensitive to it, like you said in class. Again, not sure if there is much I can do about it in post.


#5 -- Audio Closeups 1
Time/Date: 09/18/12 -- 6:00pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Pond Side Pavement
Mic Type: NT4
Settings: 96 Volts

I attempted to capture the goose's call but when I got close to it it got quieter. After normalizing this one the line noise became more apparent. There was some handling noise


#6 -- Wind 1
Time/Date: 09/19/12 -- 9:00pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Park Bench 2
Mic Type: Zoom
Settings: 90 degrees

I felt for the most part that this recording was a fairly successful recording of wind. The Zoom mic was definitely the better mic for this job, for reasons I'm unsure about since both mics were using wind screens.


#7 -- Wind 2
Time/Date: 09/19/12 -- 9:15pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Park Bench 2
Mic Type: NT4
Settings: 96 Volts

A lot of wind interrupted this recording, even though during this time the wind had calmed down a bit, leading me to believe that this mic was not ideal for recording wind.


#8 -- Running Water/Rain 1
Time/Date: 09/19/12 -- 9:30pm
Location: McCarty Park --- Tree next to Pond
Mic Type: Zoom
Settings: 90 degrees

This recording definitely had handling noise, but I'm surprised that there wasn't more considering I was holding on to the mic with one hand and the tree with the other. I was trying my best to get as close as possible to the pond water to capture the rain hitting the pond. The rain did sound nice though with a lot of high spectral content.

No comments:

Post a Comment